4 Ways to Combat Office Fatigue July 15 2019
We’ve all been there. It’s 3 o’clock and there’s not enough coffee in the world to keep you from slowing down. Office fatigue is very real. Instead of trying to reverse your tiredness in the moment, prevent it with the following tips compiled by Ergo Works in Palo Alto, CA.
Take frequent small breaks to move your body. You may think that taking breaks often will hurt your productivity. However, blood flow is extremely important to keep your brain moving quickly all day. These small breaks might just help you avoid an afternoon slump.
- Stand up and do a few office stretches.
- Walk to your coworker’s desk to talk in person instead of through email.
- Walk up and down the stairs.
- Take a call while you’re on a walk around the neighborhood.
Rest Your Eyes
Practice looking away from your computer screen and blinking frequently.
- Set a timer for every 20 minutes to look away from your screen and consciously blink
- Focus on an object at least 20 feet away for 20 seconds.
- Blinking on purpose is important. It’s easy to blink less often when your focusing on a task. Over time, this can lead to eye strain or dry, irritated eyes.
Limit Out of Office Screen Time
Some days after work all you want to do is catch up on your favorite show. While you don’t have to cut out recreational screen time completely, make sure you’re not overdoing it.
- Make time to exercise. Swap out some of your recreational screen time to hit the gym, go on a walk or practice a stretch routine.
- Get off all screens at least 30 minutes before bedtime to allow your body enough time to release melatonin for a good night’s sleep. According to the National Sleep Foundation, blue light can make it harder to fall or stay asleep.
- Both of these steps can help you get better sleep to ensure you stay alert and productive all day.
Use Alternative Seating & Desks
Keeping your body active helps your mind stay focused as well. Taking breaks to walk around the office or stretch is great, but there’s a lot you can do from your desk.
- Alternative seating such as the Ballo Stool by Humanscale is designed to keep you active while sitting. This stool forces you to engage your core to prevent poor posture and the fatigue that comes with a sedentary workday.
- Sit-stand stations such as the Ergotron WorkFit Worksurface gives you the freedom to change work postures throughout the day without leaving your desk.
Ergo Works® in Palo Alto, CA is your ergonomic expert. Whether you need an ergonomic table & chair or one of our ergonomic services, contact us. We can help you create a safe and healthy work environment. Our team was developed to combat ergonomic concerns among heavy computer users. Schedule any of our three levels of Ergonomic Evaluations to begin your ergonomic health journey.
Photo by: istockphoto.com/Deagreez